Faithful Companion

The theme of loss keeps hitting myself and my family.  There doesn't seem to be any end in sight.  We are all to familiar and used to the sting of loss.  Fifteen years ago my brother brought home the greatest birthday gift he ever received.  He was a faithful Alaskan Malamute puppy we called "Malone," after NBA great Karl Malone.  He has been the greatest and most faithful companion any boy and family could have.  Of course, I think nearly everyone says that about their dog, but Malone was special.  Today, Malone passed away after fifteen faithful years.  His old body finally got tired one last time.  We love him and miss him so much, perhaps none more so than my brother.  Over the past several years, I have written poems and eulogies for nearly every one of my family members that have passed away.  Today, the need and desire to do so was no different.  What follows is a new poem in memory of our faithful friend and companion Malone.  Indeed, it is a message from that dear friend himself.

 
 
 

A MESSAGE FROM MALONE

I’m gonna go out walking now,
Free of leash and collar,
I know it may be hard for you,
Because for now you cannot follow.


I remember all those years ago,
I found you my dear friend,
You gave me a loving family,
That is when my life began.


I made a vow that very day,
When you first brought me home,
Loyalty and love I would give,
Never would I leave you alone.


Life was joyous and happy,
Days were full of fun,
Running leaping jumping,
Sometimes an escape and a run.


But never did I forget,
The promise made that day,
You brought me home my friend,
And home is where I would stay.


Life was scary and hurting,
Days were full of rain,
Patient warm unyielding,
I would always ease your pain.


I was always watching,
Keeping a vigilant eye,
A protector and companion,
Helping you get by.


I drove you crazy sometimes,
This I surely know,
But I know even better that I made you laugh,
And you never wanted me to go.


I know tears are shed for me now,
Because I am not walking through that door,
I don’t wait on bended knee for you,
As I have before.


I know you may feel lonely,
Because I had to go,
But I think there is something,
That each of you must know.


Thank you my friends and family,
For my happiness and joy,
For your loyalty and friendship,
For being my companions, my protectors, my girls, and boys.


Thank you for all the attention,
The belly scratches and hugs,
The camping trips and vacations,
All the bones and toys I could ever want.


But thank you most of all,
For letting me be free,
The pain and hurt was just too much,
And I wanted to be me.


I promised on that day,
So very long ago,
That I would never ever,
Leave you here alone.


So on this day when it was just too much,
And my body said no more,
You showed love and sacrifice,
There now boy, you go.


And even though you can’t see me now,
In all of our years together,
Maybe you didn’t know I knew,
But you taught me families are forever.


So I’m gonna go out walking now,
But I’ll stay here on the path,
Because there is a place for all of us here,
And I’ll wait until you get back.


So yes, I am your faithful friend,
The one you call Malone,
Just remember I am watching you,
And I will never leave you alone.



© Joshua D. Cooke

October 15, 2012

 

 

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years

O Say What is Truth

Grandma Elia