What's In A Name?

Jynna Eleanore

Jyn Erso



































I am blessed to be dad now to five daughters.  Our latest addition was born this past Friday, weighing in at 9 pounds 6 ounces and 21 inches long.  We named her Jynna Eleanore Cooke.  The responses have pretty much been universal.  “She’s beautiful!”  “She’s precious.”  “She’s perfect!”  This is followed by some combination of “Where did you come up with her name?” followed by, “How do you pronounce her name?”

I am a bit of a nerd, so I will admit the truth.  I named my daughter after the character Jyn Erso from Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.  You read that right.  I named my daughter after a fictional character from a movie.  Then, we added an extra “na” to continue a family tradition we have carried where each of our children’s names end with “nna.”  My starting five now consists of Brianna, Donna, McKenna, Alaynna, and Jynna.

Jynna is not a common name.  I cannot help but smile when I realize that the name is unusual enough that it is going to take a bit for people to figure out.  If you haven’t seen Rogue One:  A Star Wars story, I highly recommend it.  Jyn Erso is one of my favorite movie characters.  She fights for a cause that is greater than herself.  She represents hope.  She rises from traumatic and unwanted circumstances to become a “rebel” against evil.  In a world where not many people stand for something, my girls need role models.  Jyn Erso may be a fictional character, but she is a fighter, a warrior, and a leader.  She is a lesson in sacrifice and perseverance against long odds.  She is a person my daughters can look up to, and I am proud to give my daughter her name, no matter that she is a character in a fictional story.

If you’re not going to watch the movie, just know that the “y” in Jynna acts as a vowel and makes the short “I” sound.  It’s not Jenna.  It’s not Jeana.  Jyn-na.  At times, I am going to use the short version and simply call her Jyn.

Each of my girls have a middle name representative of strong women in our families.  For Jynna, her middle name is Eleanore, after my wife’s great-grandmother.  She was known as a strong woman willing to give care and assistance to all who came to her, no matter their troubles.  She left a legacy that I hope my daughter will live up to well.

So there you have it.  Jynna Eleanore.  When you meet her, you will very likely find her wrapped up in her Star Wars blanket.  I’m looking forward to our Star Wars movie nights and awesome adventures in the galaxy!

May the force be with you!!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years

O Say What is Truth

Grandma Elia