O Say What is Truth

As the new year began, I decided that I was going to step away from social media.  I removed the Facebook app from my phone, and instead added a journaling app, determined to spend more time writing in my journal over the next year than engaging with social media posts.  I felt like it was important for me to make better use of my time, and also felt strongly that in the last couple of years significant investment in social media is not good for my spirit.  I am certainly aware of its virtues, and I have made the decision over the last couple of months that I would "check in" every once in awhile, but that my own posts would be significantly limited.  I have to say, this decision has done me much good.  I have spent less time with my phone; I have been more focused on my work; I have found more productivity in my weekends; I have given even more attention to my family; I have written in my journal regularly; I have found myself being spiritually fed on a more regular basis.  I have also been less involved in the divisions that very clearly manifest themselves in social media.  When I think about my friends list, they are all people I love and care about.  Each of them have had a variety of impacts on my life.  Every single one has touched me and taught me in some way, and I have a strong desire to remain connected with them.  I have also learned though that sometimes it is okay not to have to be privy to every single opinion that the people I love have.  It is okay not to engage with every facet of differing values that we may have.  To help me with that keeping my distance from social media has been meaningful.  It has not been perfect, but I am experiencing a lot more peace as a result.  When I do post, I now choose to only engage with those things that are praiseworthy and of good report.

This morning though, I woke up with a thought and an impression, and felt strongly that I should share it.  Instead of simply putting a post on Facebook though, I decided I would write in my blog.  I feel like it keeps enough distance between myself and Facebook while allowing me to share.

I woke up this morning with the following verse playing over and over in my head:

In the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions, I often said to myself: What is to be done?  Who of all these parties are right; or, are they wrong all together?  If any one of them be right, which is it, and how shall I know it?

Those familiar with this verse will know that they are the words of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sharing his history and his experience as he sought to know which church to join.  For me, this verse is especially pertinent for today's world, specifically when it comes to social media, the media in general, our own opinions, and our decision making.  If there is any place that we can see a "war of words and tumult of opinions" it is in our mainstream and social media.  Perhaps for some, this can also be seen in their own homes or their places of employment, as well as within their social circles that are outside of their online interactions.

Tumult is defined as a loud, confused noise, especially by a large mass of people; confusion or disorder.  The use of this word has declined precipitously over time, but I cannot see any better way to describe what is happening in our society today.  The mass of billions of social media followers has been extremely loud.  Each has competing voices that insists that their way is the "right" way, and then, the goal seems to be to silence any dissension among the ranks.  Some voices are certainly louder than others, and voices are very clearly attempting to steer the masses toward very specific philosophies.

What are we to do?  Joseph Smith's journey is instructive, no matter one's personal beliefs.  His patterns of behavior are certainly antithesis to the "instant gratification" culture of today.  Social media feeds on this need for instant gratification.  Social media also feeds on our emotional responses to events and the opinions of others.  Social media creates the impression that opinion is "fact."  We can see a lot on social media, and very rarely do the masses actually take the time to vet sources or to think before responding to a comment.  Even further, algorithms tend to distort what we see in order to "create" our reality, so what we see must be true, or not.  Emotions are powerful, but reacting based solely on those emotions can set dangerous precedent.  Rather than "take the bait" and respond with his emotions, Joseph instead engaged in a process that led him to answers consistent with his values yet not based solely on the emotion of the moment.

1.  Serious reflection--Joseph thought deeply about his question.  He thought deeply about the circumstances that were occurring around him,  He was engaged with people.  He considered at length the various opinions that were presented to him.  He considered the welfare of his own soul.  Rather than simply responding to the "loudness" of the moment, as a fourteen year old boy, and perhaps even a bit before, Joseph was able to recognize the importance of thinking through arguments and gaining whatever understanding he could.  It is also instructive that he kept himself "aloof" from the parties involved in the tumult.  He did not become so enmeshed within the established order and conversation that he couldn't begin to form his own thoughts and understandings, while at the same time seeking for truth.

2.  Study--Joseph's thought processes led him to recognize that if he was going to get any type of answer to his question, he needed to turn to sources that were going to feed his thought processes and allow him to build on his understanding.  For him, his primary source of study was the Holy Bible.  He took the time to study, to seek out potential answers from the best authority he knew.  He was confused at the differences of interpretation, but ultimately found his next step when he came upon the scripture in James that instructed him to "ask of God."
 
3.  Ask--Upon reflection and study, Joseph determined that he was going to either remain in confusion, or he was going to do as the Bible directed, and ask of God.  This he did.  He went to the grove seeking an answer, and he received it.  This answer though, came AFTER the dedication of serious reflection and study.  This answer came AFTER dedicating a commitment and seriousness to the question at hand.

4.  Act--Upon receiving his answer, Joseph Smith then acted upon the answer he received.  He followed instruction.  He put his life in order in such a way that he was able receive further instruction, further light and knowledge.  He continued to be tutored and taught.  When he learned truth, he went with truth, and over time, he was able to put away his own desires for the desires of God, and for a cause greater than himself.  He did something about his answer.  Joseph did not simply turn away from what he received.  He learned more, and he responded accordingly.  

5.  Choose--Upon receiving his answer and acting upon it, Joseph made a choice, and he stuck with that choice.  He did not allow new winds of doctrine to lead him to question what he received.  He did not allow the voices of others to turn him from his path.  Indeed, he did not allow the threat of torture and even martyrdom to deter him.  He chose where he stood, and he stayed here.  We need to do the same.  This does not mean that Joseph did not gain more knowledge.  This does not mean that he did not have a mind open to new ideas.  It does mean that he stood with the truth he knew and grew from that space.

Is this an easy process?  No.  Is this a quick process?  No.  Joseph's growth in truth was over a period of years.  Again, to form understanding is a process, and it is antithesis to our instant gratification culture.  Perhaps it is important to realize that for all the talk of "social" media, we are more divided than perhaps ever before.

There is one more principle that is important to recognize in this entire process, a principle that again goes against the mainstream of our society today.  That principle is simply this:  there is such a thing as truth.  Thankfully, we have a very clear definition of what truth is:

And truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come.

Simple.  Yet we have lost this as a society because somewhere along the line we decided that truth was relative and that each person can have their own truth, that everyone needs to accept everyone else's truth, and that to say there is one truth is limiting and wrong.  Fact is, we can have our differences, but a society built on nothing but our differences means truth is hard to find, and when this happens, nations fall.  Joseph Smith went through the process of finding truth, and when he found truth, miracles happened.  Without it, he would have remained as lost and confused as he was when he was 14 years old.  He would have remained as lost and confused as we are right now as a nation.

I make no secret of my religion and my belief in God.  I make no secret of my knowledge that Joseph Smith is a Prophet.  I make no secret that I do the best I can to pray, to communicate with my Heavenly Father, and I make no secret that I seek out my answers from the scriptures.  I also make no secret that I would ask anyone who is seeking knowledge and truth to do the same.

No matter what you believe though, we need to give ourselves more credit as individuals, families, and communities.  We need to rise above the noise, and for many of us, that is all social media is, noise.  It is simply tumult.  It is a war of words.  Competing voices insist that other competing voices are wrong.  Memes and quotes, biased statistics, emotionally appealing headlines, divisions fostered by the actions of groups and even nations, all influence our interactions with one another.  We need to rise above all of this.

A blog is a social media platform, so maybe this sounds a bit hypocritical, and I am not suggesting that we should turn away from all social media.  What I am suggesting though, is that we stop utilizing social media, or any media, for that matter, as our truth.  Follow the steps Joseph took.  Use serious reflection, study, ask, act, and choose.  I have found that when I apply these standards to myself, which has not been always, my decision making is clearer, and I am at peace with where I stand in my values and the truths that I know are real.  These steps are further grounded in truth when we do what Joseph did and involve God in the process.  Seriously reflect on questions you have, on the issues of the day, on your values, whatever it may be.  Study the word of God, seeking out the answers, ask God the Father in the name of Jesus Christ to guide you, and when you receive those answers, act on them, then choose where you are going to stand.

There is a reason that truth is revealed line upon line and precept upon precept.  When truth is revealed over time, we can make the best use of our God-given agency.  Acting on impulse, emotion, and instant gratification only leads to heartache, division, and continued wandering.  Indeed, it leads to pride, which always falls.

What do we do in the midst of this war of words and tumult of opinions?

Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years

Grandma Elia