Thank You, Utah



This past weekend was a long weekend.  There has been a lot of uncertainty and nervousness.  My nerves have been frayed and my stomach has been in knots.  I haven't slept, and the anticipation on the 4th of July admittedly overtook much of my holiday.  I haven't been on a twitter feed like that EVER.  All of this anxiety and worry over a basketball player, a man I have never met and probably never will.  All of this sweat and even tears over someone playing a game for a job, and quite honestly, changing his job because he has a right too.  Some call me unreasonable.  Some say insane.  I have to quit whining and get a life.  It's not worth fretting over or being upset about.  It is irrational.  In some ways, people are right, it is unreasonable. I need to move on.  Another truth is important as well though, and that truth will explain why Gordon Hayward's decision to go to Boston is so impactful to me.

I love the Utah Jazz.

I always have, and I always will.  No matter what.  This team, this organization, the people that hold it all together, the people that run it, they deserve to be loved.  They deserve to be fought for, and at times, they deserve to be cried over.

I grew up with the 90's Jazz teams.  These teams were awesome.  These teams were 50-60 win clubs.  These teams were high energy, hard working, grinders.  These teams were masters of the game.  Execution was key and at times it was flawless.  These teams were Malone, Stockton and Sloan with great role players to boot.  Eaton, Benoit, Edwards, Bailey, Crotty, then Hornaceck, Eisley, Russell, Foster, Morris, Carr, among others.  For me, these were the greats.  I was in the arena watching on the Jumbotron when we lost in the Western Conference Finals to Seattle.  I was heartbroken.  I was 12-13 years old when the Utah Jazz went to the NBA finals.  Like many others, I remember The Shot like yesterday.  The emotion still wells up in me.  I was on top of the world.  I remember being out on the Plaza watching the Finals games, waiting for the buses to leave after both wins and losses.  I remember sinking into what some would say was an unhealthy depression after we lost.  Through it all, the Jazz were always my team.  I would sit upstairs on my computer play NBA Live 98, volume down, so that I could do my best "Hot Rod" Hundley impression.  "You're lookin' live from the Delta Center in downtown Salt Lake City, where the Utah Jazz will face the..."  I learned to love the hippity hop dribble, and Stockton to Malone was the greatest of catch phrases.  I played the Everybody Get Jazzed NBA Finals CD over and over.  Still do.  Even my little girls know who "Basketball John" is.  I used to stand in line at Pro Image Sports to get autographs.  We went to different outdoor shows and such to get them too.  One time, when I was really young, I challenged Antoine Carr to a game of one on one at a signing.  It didn't last long.  But the memory has been forever.  I have boxes and boxes of memorabilia in my garage.  At times, you can still find me reading old Home Court magazines.

I cried when John Stockton retired.  I was weirded out seeing Karl in purple and gold.

I was there for the Williams, Boozer, Okur days.  Big Money, Booz, and D-Will, with Ronnie Brewer, Paul Millsap, and AK-47.  I was there in the arena when Derek Fisher walked onto the court and the palpable chill of victory washed over me.  I was there when he was let out of his contract and watched Larry Miller cry when he left.  I remember feeling one more glimmer of hope when Al Jefferson came on board, and then floored when D Will was traded only to have hope again when I saw Devin Harris fly down the court and D-Fav make his first big shot.

I was in the arena for Larry H. Miller's memorial service.  The pain was real.  That pain mattered.  The uncertainty was palpable later too.

I cannot even describe to you what went through my mind and heart when Jerry Sloan announced he was done.  At the time, it really did feel like the end.

I suffered through the Ty Corbin years, got confused knowing Jeff Hornaceck would never be our head coach.  I was bewildered at losses and seemingly confusing moves.  I wondered who in the world this Dennis Lindsey guy was and coach Quin was a novelty.

Now, here we are, July 5, 2017, and the Gordon Hayward era is over.  For seven years this team put everything they had into that man.  An entire system was built around him.  The legends came to tutor him.  He reached pinnacles I am sure he never would have reached in any other system.  He was loved.  He was adored.  The fans believed in him.  Despite all the fan sentiment and all the good that this organization has to offer, he decided that a reunion with a college coach would better suit him.  T

That's fine.  See, what I have come to realize is that my loyalty is not to any one player or group of players.  My loyalty is to this team.  When a player shows that someday, they will be rewarded.  There will be honors, accolades, appreciation where it is rightly deserved.  Coach Quin has said that 'adversity is opportunity in disguise.' That opportunity is now, and I will continue to be with them along the way.

To that end, I want to say this.  Thank you, Utah.  Specifically, thank you to the Utah Jazz.  Thank you for giving everything you have to the state and to the community.  Thank you for being fully invested.  Thank you for making this organization truly about the fan, even in the face of all else in the NBA that really says the fans don't matter that much.  Thank you to the Millers for your undying contribution.  Thank you for essentially gifting this team to the people of Utah so we can rest assured that this team will be here forever.  Thank you Dennis Lindsey for your tireless efforts to create a culture of winning, hard work, and character.  Thank you Coach Quin for giving us your best, night in and night out, getting the best, down to the last drop, of every player you can.  Thank you to his assistants, for being willing to develop these players into the best they can be.  Thank you David Locke, for taking the reins from Hot Rod Hundley with grace and professionalism, being yourself and providing insight into our team that is unparalleled.  Thank you Craig Bolerjack, Ron Boone, Matt Harpring, Steve Brown, Frank Layden, Thurl Bailey, Alema Harrington, ALL of you, who make the Utah Jazz what we are, who give this franchise its personality and pride.  Thank you Kevin O'Connor, Randy Rigby, Steve Starks.  Thank you JAZZ BEAR. THANK YOU THANK YOU.  There genuinely are to many to name, so don't feel left out.  If you have anything to do with this team, I see you, I hear you, and I appreciate you.

Thank you to all the players, past and present, who have given your all to be Jazzmen.  Thank you for the experience of watching you play.  Thank you for all the times you signed whatever could be signed.  Thank you.

Thank you John and Karl especially, for being loyal and being true.  I know this is a different day and age.  But that still matters.

Thank you for giving me and the rest of Jazz Nation the chance to yell, scream, stress out, be on the edge of our seat, cheer, chant, and enjoy the game we love.  Thank you for your tireless efforts to put the best team on the floor possible every night.

I don't hate Gordon Hayward.  He did what he felt he had to do.  I don't wish him ill at all.  I do want to beat him though, and we will.  But to the naysayer, to those laughing, yes, this hurts.  It hurts bad.  Remember this though.  No player is the Utah Jazz.  WE are the Utah Jazz.  The Utah Jazz are here to stay.  Stand with them.  Cheer for them.  Get LOUD.  I believe in this team.  I believe in Rudy Gobert.  I believe in Derrick Favors.  I believe in Ricky Rubio, I believe in Rodney Hood, I believe in Joe Ingles. I believe in every single player on this roster.  I believe in this organization.  I believe in everything they stand for.  We may be a small market in the Rocky Mountains, but our story is just as compelling and real for each of us as any other franchises story is to them.  Don't believe the pundits.  The Utah Jazz matter.  They will always matter.

One day, despite all that seems against us, the title will be ours.  Until then, the journey will continue.

AND YOU GOTTA LOVE IT BABY!

































Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Years

O Say What is Truth

Grandma Elia